About Generation Africa Initiative
At the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) 2019, a new partnership initiative, Generation Africa was formed by a core group of partners from leading public and private sector organisations, with the aim of working collaboratively to bring the dynamism of youth entrepreneurship to Africa’s Agri-food sector. The partnership initiative seeks to strengthen the ecosystem that supports young Agripreneurs on their journey from idea to business at scale, serving as a driver of innovation, sector growth, and job creation across the continent.
The Generation Africa (GenA) initiative is expected to deliver an influential campaign and high-profile prize each year; build and curate the largest online community of African Agripreneurs; research and define a continental agenda and leverage high-level advocacy in support of Agripreneurship; and facilitate an open network of ecosystem actors as they define and scale up best practice across the continent.
To support the successful delivery of its mandate, the partnership is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Program Coordinator.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Program Coordinator, provides support to the day to day operations and implementation of the platform, driving GenA work plan and action agenda to deliver on the platform’s goal as the premier platform for Africa’s agripreneurship agenda. S/he serves as an active liaison with relevant internal stakeholders within AGRA, external stakeholders in the GenA and AGRF Partners Group. S/he is the main liaison between GenA secretariat and internal AGRA departments like Finance, Procurement, Legal, HR & Admin, Compliance etc. S/he works with the Head of GenA and other team members to ensure GenA is delivering on its multi-year strategic vision and action plans.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Budgeting and finance
- Work closely with AGRA Finance Unit and Development Cooperation focal point to ensure Generation Africa Budget is regularly monitored and shared with management on a monthly basis.
- Ensure all financial reports are prepared and submitted on time.
Contracting, procurement and payment
- Manage the preparatory work required for procurement, contracting, administration, and validation of vendors contracted by the GenA Secretariat.
- Ensure service providers are contracted, supported and paid according to AGRA policies and procedures within the timeframes agreed.
- Maintain online records of key unit documents and an effective and up-to-date tracking record of consultants and service providers for GenA Secretariat and ensure services are delivered.
Strategic Partners agreement
- Work with legal department to ensure that all GenA strategic partners have their contracts in place stipulating clearly their cash as well as in-kind contributions.
Reporting and Documentation
- Work with the Head of GenA on annual reporting, work plan development, monitoring, and updates during the year.
- Ensure that performance management process is followed and adhered by coordinating the updating of monthly performance tracker by all the GenA staff and consultants.
- Prepare the quarterly narrative draft reports using the monthly performance trackers for three months.
- Support Head GenA by preparing Generation Africa Steering Committee meetings agendas, notes and action points.
- Support the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize application, selection and judging processes by scheduling all the meetings and being part of reviewers and adjudicators.
- Manage and support the Head of Generation Africa diary, activities and work-plan for the unit, as agreed with the Head.
- Coordinate with AGRA’s Travel Office in the planning of local and international travel of the GenA Secretariat by providing timely information; contacts hosts and arranges hotel accommodation, appointments, and processes travel expenses.
- Serve as the GenA Secretariat focal point during the AGRF Summit to coordinate accommodation for GenA delegates and VIPs to ensure great experience and eliminate no shows within the unit’s control.
- Liaise with GenA partners and external stakeholders interested in exhibiting during the AGRF Summit and work with the partners and service providers to ensure agreed branding and receipt of timely payments.
- Track registration of GenA delegates and develop sponsored delegates tracker in conjunction with AGRA Finance to ensure payments have been received.
Key Qualifications and Experience required:
- A Bachelor-level qualification in business or social sciences.
- At least 3 years relevant professional experience, especially roles that demonstrate:
- Ability to work with donors as well as manage and build strategic donor relations; sound understanding of the donor financing landscape and processes.
- Experience working in teams and managing processes that are dependent on multiple actors.
- Experience working with a large multinational development agency in a coordination role (especially in complex conferences and events like AGRF) is an advantage.
- Strong project management skills, including event management, as well as the ability to coordinate diverse partners with whom there is no direct line of accountability.
- Office administration and coordination skills.
- Work planning, monitoring and budgeting skills.
- Work in Agricultural value chains with an understanding of business cases that support value chain actors like service providers, financiers and markets.
- English speaker, with other languages desirable, especially French.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail and telephone contacts) to email@example.com. Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail.
To be considered, applications must be received by 7th September, 2020.
For more information on Generation Africa, applicants can visit www.genafrica.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer